Shelf Love Guest Open Call: Researching Popular Romance FictionAug 8, 2022
Open call for guests who would like to share their research on popular romance fiction, or on a related topic that would be of interest to romance novel readers and scholars.
AREAS OF INTEREST:
- Social science explorations of romance readers, or cross-genre reading (including romance)
- Examinations of romance novels across cultures (especially outside the US)
- How romance novels have changed over time
- Cross-disciplinary approaches
- Business of romance novels: emerging business models, formats, and reader trends
Typical recording is 60-75 minutes long; 50-60-minute final edited episode.
This call is open to scholars and nerds of all kinds - no formal qualifications required. But, please note this is not a call for authors of fiction to discuss their own work.
I encourage you to listen to a few episodes of Shelf Love if you haven't already. Here are a few episodes that were a result of this open call:
- Queer Romance: A History with Lucy Hargrave
- The Hunger Games & Extraordinary Girl Romance Narratives
Here are a few episodes that were not a result of the open call but are good examples of what this open call is looking for:
- Rare book dealer Rebecca Romney on her Romance Collection
- Julie Moody Freeman on Teaching Black Romance in the Classroom with Cultural Studies Framework
- Eric Selinger on Major Waves of Romance Scholarship
- Diana Filar on White American Immigrants, Assimilation, Romance Adaptations
- Only Tingles Before Marriage: Junior Novels in Post-War America with Dr. Amanda K. Allen
- What Books Do, Empirically Speaking with Dr. Andrew Piper
- Time Travel Romance: A Fantasy Escape to a Glorious Space
Shelf Love podcast interviews are conducted remotely via Skype.
Alyssa Cole, Amanda Diehl, Andrea Martucci, Angela Toscano, Arielle Zibrak, Ash Dylan, Becky, Bree Hill, Charish Reid, Christina Fattore, Copper Dog Books, Dani Lacey, Danielle Knafo, Denise Williams, Diana Filar, EE Ottoman, Emma Barry, Eric Selinger, Erin Leafe, Esme Brett, Felicia Grossman, Funmi B., Hannah Hearts Romance, Hsu Ming Teo, Huike Wen, Jack Harbon, Jayashree Kamble, Jennifer Crusie, Jess, Jessica Lyn Van Slooten, Jhen, Jodi McAlister, Jodie Slaughter, Joe Martucci, John Jacobson, Julie Moody-Freeman, Karelia Stetz-Waters, Kate Clayborn, Katee Robert, Katrina Jackson, Kelly Reynolds, Kennedy Ryan, Kianna Alexander, Kini Allen, Kit Rocha, Lucy Score, Margarita Guillory, Margo Hendricks, Maria DeBlassie, Megan Erickson, Mia Sosa, Nicole Falls, Norma Perez-Hernandez, Penny Reid, Rebecca Romney, Rebekah Weatherspoon, Rosie Danan, Ruby Lang, Sandra Kitt, Scarlett Peckham, Sionna Fox, Steve Ammidown, Suzanne Jefferies, Talia Hibbert, Tamara Lush, Tasha L. Harrison, The Swoonies, Tif Marcelo, Tina Benigno, Whoamance, fangirl jeanne