021. Secret Baby in Romance with Kini Allen
Minisode! Kini Allen and I talk about the secret baby trope in romance novels, I share all the ones I forgot I had read, and then she shares some favorites. Then, listeners weigh in on the trope and I make the case for representing other reproductive choices in romance. This episode may not be for everyone. Content Warning: We talk about unintended pregnancy in the course of this episode, and in the outro I talk about contraception, abortion, and miscarriage in romance novels.
Guest Host: Kini Allen (Smexy Books)
- The Cad and the Co-Ed by Penny Reid and LH Cosway (Rugby player and...co-ed)
- What A Girl Wants (2003)
- Bountiful by Sarina Bowen (hockey player and bartender)
- Nobody’s Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (football player and astrophysicist)
- Forever My Girl by Heidi McLaughlin
- Never Enough #4 from The Brown Family Series by Lauren Dane
- Hold on Tight by Serena Bell
- Willing Victim by Cara McKenna changed the way Kini was reading romance (but no secret baby)
- Simply Irresistible by Rachel Gibson (@a_huszka)
- @HannahHeartsRomance begrudgingly admitted to liking Scoring the Player’s Baby by Naima Simone despite not liking this trope.
- @Phoenixindacity and @b.andherbooks seconded Kini’s recommendation for Bountiful by Sarina Bowen, and Phoenix also seconded The Cad and the Co-Ed.
- @MarisaElaineGettas loves Fumbled by Alexa Martin.
- Guttmacher Institute Study about abortion: https://www.guttmacher.org/news-release/2017/abortion-common-experience-us-women-despite-dramatic-declines-rates
Shelf Love is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. You can find more outstanding podcasts to subscribe to at Frolic.media/podcasts