023. Katrina Jackson: Communication, Polyamory + Financial Conversations
Katrina Jackson, erotic romance author by night, historian by day, joins the podcast once again to talk about polyamory in romance novels, how these relationships challenge genre conventions, and how communication is key in ALL relationships. We also discuss how happily for now is more like real life, and about why combining or discussing finances as a couple can be full of conflict - and how we’d like to see more romances that explore these issues.
You can also hear Katrina on episode 17 in which we discuss An Unconditional Freedom by Alyssa Cole, about reluctant spy partners working to bring down the Confederacy in the Civil War.
Sign up for the Shelf Love newsletter for bonus content!
Kat on social media:
Listen to: Episode 17 of Shelf Love with Katrina Jackson, discussing An Unconditional Freedom by Alyssa Cole
Kat’s new books:
- Every New Year: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZS3ZL3P/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
- (Andrea’s Twitter review: “High-heat contemporary m/f. For fans of that Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock movie with the letters in a mailbox. 2 Emotional Idiots (TM) (with believable character development) circle around each other for 18 years annually around NYE. Sex on top of a teddy bear A+”
- Grand Theft N.Y.E.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z268N51/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1
- A con woman who is stealing. She meets a rich man who steals her heart so she steals his car.
- Corey’s Book Corner Interview with Katrina:
- “I want to create worlds that look like the one I live in, as a queer Black woman, with friends of varying sexual orientations and genders in many different kinds of relationships, it wouldn’t make sense to segregate the stories.”
- Rachel Kramer Bussel’s piece in The Washington Post
- “I was afraid to tell my partner I had $100,000 in debt. Here’s how we’ve handled it.”
- Helena Hunting’s Pucked Series
- Nicole Falls book that explores finances: Kat thinks she’s remembering Adore You
- “Devorah Lee has spent her adult life searching for a guy who has The Zing, but has a penchant for falling for the wrong guy…enter Ellis Taylor — the notorious playboy brother of her ex who’s on a mission to show her he’s Mr. Right.”
Another Shelf Love episode that discusses polyamory: https://shelflove.simplecast.com/episodes/more-to-love-ep-10-extras-polyamorous-romance-hot-tub-no-maam-billionaire-questions
Hello and thanks for joining me on this minisode, episode 25 of Shelf Love. Every week we use romance novels as the text to explore identity, relationships, and the society that we live in.
I’m your host Andrea Martucci and this week I’m once again joined by Katrina Jackson, erotic romance author and historian. In episode 17, we discussed An Unconditional Freedom by Alyssa Cole, a historical romance with reluctant spies that team up to take down the Confederacy during the Civil War. It’s a pretty heavy episode, but well-worth listening to.
On Twitter, Jen said: “This @ShelfLovePod episode with @katrinajax about An Unconditional Freedom is incredible. The book was amazing and this discourse is just... *chef’s kiss*. Can I take classes from Professor Jackson??”
On this minisode, you’ll hear the earlier part of our recording where we discuss polyamory in romance novels. We dive into how polyamory challenges romance genre conventions, and how communication is key in ALL relationships, on or off the page.
We also discuss how HFN, happily for now, is more like real life, and about why combining or discussing finances as a couple can be full of conflict - and how we’d like to see more romances that explore these issues.
Thanks for listening to Episode 25 of Shelf Love: A Romance Novel Book Club.
I loved speaking with Kat - twice! - and I’m so thankful for her time. You can find Katrina on Twitter @katrinajax and you should check out her books! Links are in the show notes.
You can find Shelf Love on social media @ShelfLovePodcast on Instagram, and @ShelfLovePod on Twitter. Sign up for the Shelf Love email newsletter to get exclusive bonus content, like extra book recs, giveaway information, and more.
Coming up in the next few weeks, you’ll hear from guests Kennedy Ryan, Penny Reid, Denise Williams, and Emma Barry.
Thank you for listening to Shelf Love! If you’re new to the podcast, I hope you check out the other amazing episodes - you might like an earlier episode in which I started asking questions about polyamory based on some listener-submitted thoughts on monogamy as a capitalist construct. It’s the Episode 10 extras episode titled “More to Love: Ep. 10 Extras - Polyamorous Romance, Hot Tub No Ma'am, Billionaire Questions”
Shelf Love is part of the Frolic Podcast Network. You can find more outstanding podcasts to subscribe to at Frolic.media/podcasts
Alyssa Cole, Amanda Diehl, Andrea Martucci, Angela Toscano, Arielle Zibrak, Ash Dylan, Becky, Bree Hill, Carter Sherman, Charish Reid, Christina Fattore, Copper Dog Books, Dani Lacey, Danielle Knafo, Denise Williams, Diana Filar, EE Ottoman, Emma Barry, Eric Selinger, Erin Leafe, Esme Brett, Felicia Grossman, Funmi B., Hannah Hearts Romance, Hsu Ming Teo, Huike Wen, Jack Harbon, Jayashree Kamble, Jennifer Crusie, Jess, Jessica Lyn Van Slooten, Jhen, Jodi McAlister, Jodie Slaughter, Joe Martucci, John Jacobson, Julie Moody-Freeman, Karelia Stetz-Waters, Kate Clayborn, Katee Robert, Katrina Jackson, Kelly Reynolds, Kennedy Ryan, Kianna Alexander, Kini Allen, Kit Rocha, Lucy Score, Lynell, Margarita Guillory, Margo Hendricks, Maria DeBlassie, Megan Erickson, Mia Sosa, Nicole Falls, Norma Perez-Hernandez, Penny Reid, Rebecca Romney, Rebekah Weatherspoon, Rosie Danan, Ruby Lang, Sandra Kitt, Scarlett Peckham, Sionna Fox, Sri Savita, Steve Ammidown, Suzanne Jefferies, Talia Hibbert, Tamara Lush, Tasha L. Harrison, The Swoonies, Tif Marcelo, Tina Benigno, Whoamance, fangirl jeanne